Play by the Rules of the Game
Fri, 11/09/2012 - 4:26pm | by monicadear
When we're playing a board game, most of us have an understanding of the rules.
In Monopoly, you know that you're going to be purchasing property and building. In Clue, you're finding a weapon, a room, and a perpetrator. In Chutes and Ladders, you're going up the ladder for a good deed, or down the chute for a bad deed.
How about Life? (Not the game, the real thing).
Did anyone ever tell you the rules?
Do you know what rules you play by anyway?
Take a moment to consider the personal rules that you abide by in your day-to-day routine.
You may have a series of small rules like:
- Never discuss politics or religion at the dinner table.
- If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
- It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.
- Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- Seize the day.
- No pain, no gain.
Or you may have a larger rule like:
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- Be Here Now.
- Do no harm.
- Above all, to thine own self be true.
- We must become the change we wish to see in the world.
- Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. (my personal favorite)
- Just do it!
- Live free or die.
- Don't be evil.
Once we understand what our personal rules are, we understand the limitations that they place on our experience of life and the nature of our reality.
For example, if you believe the rule to never wear white after Labor Day, then you'll immediately shoot down any opportunity to wear white after Labor Day. You'll also pre-judge others who choose to wear that color within that time frame.
Do you have rules like this?
Why or why not?
Take a moment to discern your own rules that consciously or subconsciously guide you, then understand how your life has been molded and shaped by those rules. Are you willing to look inward? If so, do you agree with what you see? Perhaps you may want to make a change, for the better.
Understand your own rules, and play by them to the best of your ability.