Skip to main content

Identifying your Core Activities

Fri, 11/09/2012 - 4:26pm | by monicadear

How does your day flow? Where does your time go? Are you aware of how much time you are spending doing which tasks?

A typical day for me consists of my five main activities:
1) Thinking, reading
2) Researching and writing
3) Organizing and planning
4) Working on projects
5) Meditating

Then I also do the following:
6) Connecting with others, volunteering, communicating
7) Exercising and enjoying the outdoors
8) Resting/Sleeping/Eating/Laundry/other Maintenance

I have very mindfully TAKEN AWAY items on my "to-do" list that don't fit with my core activities. I make the effort and work hard to get my day under my own control, instead of frittering away time on unnecessary, ineffective, unpleasurable tasks.

Have you heard of the 80/20 rule, or the Pareto Principle? for anything, 80% of the effects comes from 20% of the causes (so, for your business, 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your clients).

In terms of your own happiness with the balance between your work and your life, find a way to integrate the 80/20 rule into your daily routine. For example, within the workday, make sure tospend at least 20% of the time planning, organizing, doing high-level thinking, and evaluating your current situation. Then the remaining 80% of your day will be spent productively. You will also feel more satisfied, more serene, and more calm.

Core Activities Exercise

An exercise for you is to truly assess what types of activities you most enjoy, and list them. I call these our Core Activities.

These are things that you would do if you were paid or not: you'd do these regardless of the season or your mood. Doing these activities always awakens your inner child and your sense of purpose and fulfillment.

What are your core activities?


Your life is a true gift: make sure that you're making the most of it and sharing your talents and skills to the highest level you are capable: when you're in this mode, your work and your life merge to become one ever-present gift that you offer, from yourself to your family, community, and our larger world.

Bookmark and Share